Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Cliff Top

I find myself in a current situation where I'm watching someone I love and care about very much about to make some serious bad decisions. Unfortunately, this is not a case where I can address the issue head on because it would seem like an attack (no one likes unsolicited advice about personal/family matters). And I can't go to someone else and have them speak with this person - it would be the 'behind my back' attack.

I can't go into much more detail but this is a case where there is no answer, no solution to this problem. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. I know even if I didn't lose this person by saying something, an irreparable rift would form and always be between us. I know too, if I don't say anything, I am going to watch my friend have their heart broken. Maybe not tomorrow or a year from now, but sometime in the coming years, it will happen. My only consolation is the support I'll be able to offer then. But, as a person of action, I know that this could potentially be avoided by saying something now. I won't feel good when these eventual years roll around and the best I can do is say "I saw this coming."

I'm standing on top of a cliff, watching my dear friend running toward the ledge for the opportunity of a lifetime, and if I stop them, they'll never get another chance; I also don't know if there's a ledge they'll land on just five feet down.

The impossible situation is always the hardest because there is no good answer. There are choices but no choice is really better than the other. So is the choice to make the one that causes the least amount of damage? And is damage relative? Do I get to say what is the worst form? I don't know.

I guess for now, because I know that saying something will not create any change, I'm going to stand by and watch, (and hope) there is a soft landing just over the edge that I am not able to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment