Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Limits

What limits us?

Fear? Indecision? Or just a part of who we are? When the time to act is upon us and we do nothing, how is it we can reasonably justify our idleness? In a world where things are already complicated enough, do we excuse our lack of action with a series of convoluted half-truths, so we don't have to feel bad about the things we do not do?

So here is my question: is anything actually complicated, or do we just make it complicated because it's easier than owning up to the truth? When I think about everything I do that requires action and decision, the out-come, no matter the situation, is never as terrifying or uncomfortable as I've imagined; with that, sometimes the out-come is quite pleasant. And typically after I've "acted" or "decided" I feel better. Like an internal Feng Shui.

So why are there times when I still do not act? Why do I limit myself? It's no good for me: I brood on the chances I do not take, I envy those who do what I do not, and when I'm unhappy because this, I become angry at myself, because I am the source of my own unhappiness. Yet, despite all this, I still do not act.

What limits us when we know the only barrier between moving forward and being left behind is ourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment