Friday, July 13, 2012

Listening to the World

Today is cloudy with a chance of storms. This is the first day where the sun has been hidden in nearly three weeks. It seems the clouds lend to a tranquility in people and places. If I go out people all around me seem to move with a little less briskness and steady determination. If I go into establishments the motivation employees may usually show, is gone.

I never gave it much consideration before, but what if cloudy and rainy days are the world's way of telling us to slow down? The feeling of waking up from hearing rain beat constant against the sidewalk or the window and wanting nothing more than to snuggle back into bed with a comfortable laziness, and knowing it'll be a perfect day even if no task is accomplished, can be such an uplifting feeling. How often do we have a day off and spend it doing chores or running errands? I must believe when the world subtly influences us to slow down we should listen. If feeling a bit lazy is a natural by-product of a gray sky, then why shouldn't we delight in a day of simplicity?

For just a few moments here, I have laid on my couch, played Adele softly in the background, and the let breeze float over me. I think if we were able to achieve one moment of serenity in our day to day lives we could all be so much happier. We worry too much about completing and taking care of the things surrounding us, and often forget to give some of that care to ourselves.

Lets listen to the world a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment