Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Like A Favorite Movie

I've been watching relationships start and stop around me. One of the big reasons I've seen a couple relationships end is because of the comfortability the two felt together after so long together. Now, as a person who personally hates the whole start of a relationship, (the 'getting to know you part') I find the comfortability part of a relationship to be one of the best parts. The newness and excitement of a romance is not nearly so thrilling me for me and often is the biggest reason I don't date. It terrifies me.

I've been thinking about relationships since some of the stuff in my life recently has included them, and I've been mulling over what my ideal relationship would be like. I think I've fantasied the future, the ending, before, but not the relationship itself. What am I looking for a relationship to be for me?

I've said before I am a huge movie lover. And it never fails, that when I want to watch a movie and I have absolutely no idea what I want to watch, and nothing sounds appealing, I have, what I refer to, as my 'classics.' There are just one or two movies I will watch over and over again, without fail, simply because I love them so much. I know every word, every voice inflection, facial expression, I know the movie start to finish.

It occurred to me the other day when I was looking for a movie to watch (and there was nothing that felt like the right thing) and I grabbed one of my 'classic' movies from the shelf to pop it in the player, that I want a relationship that is like a favorite movie.

Now there's no way of knowing before you see a movie if it's going to become a favorite, but that why you go to see it in the first place. Overall, I think relationships should be like watching a favorite movie: the first few times you see it, it's exciting and the anticipation is killing you until you reach the end, but then the longer you have a movie the more comfortable it becomes. You know every word, you know the end, you even know the soundtrack. But no matter what you always enjoy it, you quote it, you refer to it, and it always makes you feel good when you watch it, spend time with it. That's what I want from a relationship. That feeling of rightness.

I realize it may not be as exciting to stay home and watch a 'classic' as going to the theatre to see the new action packed flick or horror movie, but that's why we have all sorts of relationships and very few favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment