Saturday, November 17, 2012

An Early Night

I live in the north part of the Midwest, so by the time summer has faded away into nothing but good ol' summer memories that'll be reflected upon when thinking about a time that was completely care free, the sun goes down by work day's end, which means winter is quickly approaching, bringing with it cold winds and icy roads. Many people like to complain about the winter months, myself included, on occasion, but there is something magical about the sun going to bed early; I live in a fairly small town, so as soon as Halloween is over, Christmas wreaths, lights, bows, and other decorations are on every business front and most of the cities' houses. The lights come on at the first hint of dark, lighting the town aglow giving it the appeal of a ginger bread house.

While I do not enjoy the tedious task of shoveling, I even like the snow: my particular favorite is when the flakes are big, clumpy, and dry, and fall swirling through the wind to the ground, so when I look up at the sky, I feel like I'm in the middle of a snow globe. It helps me feel alone in the depths of the sky - it helps me connect with all of myself, when I feel like I have and unending to eternity to fall into. I love the early nights of winter. Winter can get long and a bit lonely, but I find it peaceful as well. I find the poetry of the seasons to be reflected in their realities. Winter is a time when things have died and gone to sleep. Everyone talks about how death is a tragedy for the living but it is peaceful for the dead. Not that I believe myself to be dead during the colder months of the year, but it is a nice time to reflect and slow down.

I don't know why this is important for me to share, but I think it's because I see people forget to appreciate the beauty of the things we have around us. I acknowledge there are downsides to everything as well, but the negativity is easy to give into. So no matter where you live or the weather you experience, try to find some beauty to appreciate and connect with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment