Friday, October 26, 2012

Love and Betrayal

I have no big lead up today. I have no point. The only thing I want this post to be about is the question I pose. Here it is:

Is it old fashion of me to think that if you're going to say "I love you" to someone that it's too much of a stretch for those simple words to mean, "I commit myself to you. You are not only enough for me, but everything for me?" Why is it today that promising yourself to a single other person, who is the part of you that is missing, is so difficult? Is it because you feel like you're boring because the fleeting thrill of the initial attraction is gone and not what makes you a complete couple anymore? Because something about being an adult (and you better be an adult if you're going to commit to someone) isn't as fun? What is so wrong with really loving someone else?

I hate the word 'cheating.' To me, cheating means your eyes slide and look at your neighbors test so you can gain a better score. Cheating in a relationship only loses you something. Twice now, in my life, I have been involved in cases of cheating (not as one of the two in the couple, but very closely related) and the effects and devastation and heartbreak from this betrayal (and I prefer the word 'betraly' because that's more accurately what it is). Why betray the person you are suppose to love? The person you commit and promise yourself to?

I have to sit and watch how it tears people apart - people who have been betrayed and those who were the betrayer. Especially when it was just a big, horrible, stupid mistake. Why even bother doing it, because it cancels out all of the wonderful times from the past and steals away the happy times that were planned for the future.

It all just makes me sick. It breaks my heart every time I think about it. And there's nothing I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment